Please refer to the message below from the convenor Harsh Singh (CDHB):
Dear Delegates & Sponsors,
The Christchurch DHB have been reviewing the current worldwide situation of Covid-19 which has now escalated to a pandemic and after much consultation from senior health officials and committees they have decided to cancel the Tongariro Meeting next weekend in Nelson.
The following recent developments have been identified which has led to this decision:
- Person to person Coronavirus infection was confirmed in NSW in cases with no overseas contact.
- Multiple medical personnel in departments where possible coronavirus infection has occurred were placed into 2 weeks isolation. This has occurred in both Australia and New Zealand.
- A major Radiology meeting in Australia had an infection suspected at their meeting, with significant public backlash.
- RACS issued a no meetings directive, and New Zealand DHB’s have placed a moratorium on international travel.
- Having so many medical professionals together is too high risk for every Cardiac Unit and ICU in the country.
- Other health professional conferences have been cancelled.
We apologise for the inconvenience this will cause but hope you can understand the position that the organising committee have been put in during these difficult circumstances.
We are currently looking at options of rescheduling to March 2021, but in the meantime ask that you are patient while we work through the logistics and will be in touch with further details as soon as we can.
Mr Harsh Singh (CDHB) & Sarah Jonson (Obex)