Relevant ANZSCTS Constitution Clause
Term of Appointment ‐ Chair
The SEC Chair is elected from membership and must be a voting member. The term of appointment is three years, with eligibility for re‐election for one further term of three years. Appointment takes effect at the Annual General Meeting
- Convenor of the Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM)
- Cardiothoracic Convenor for the RACS ASC
- Convenors of any other Scientific meeting in which the ANZSCTS participates and will be co‐opted from time to time
- ANZSCTS Vice President
- ANZSCTS Honorary Secretary / Treasurer
Responsibilities of the SEC
- To coordinate and supervise the planning for the ASM and any other scientific meeting where the ANZSCTS participates.
- To arrange programmes of continuing education within the specialty
- To promote research in Cardiothoracic Surgery
In addition to the committee composition noted above, the SEC has co‐opted the ANZSCTS President and organiser of the TECHNO Practicum College (TPC) and others as required. The specific duties of the Chair with regard to the ASM are:
- Help with the selection of guest speakers.
- Help with choice of venue.
- Marking of abstracts.
- Attending monthly meetings of the Organising Committee
- Assisting Convener with other aspects of the meeting.
- Organising trainees training day (Wet lab and didactic teaching session).
- Includes liaising with device companies to organise the annual wet lab at the ASM for cardiothoracic trainees (selection of sponsor to be approved by the ANZSCTS Executive).
- Organising international guest speakers to participate in the didactic lecture programme of the for the trainee day
SEC ‐ Clause 89 a, b, c and d
- Chair of the SEC is a member of the ANZSCTS Executive.
- Co‐Opted to the Cardiothoracic Board, attendance of 3 Board Meetings per year, as well as associated hospital inspections, marking of trainee applicants curriculum vitae, trainee selection interviewing etc.
- Organisation and running of Cardiothoracic Surgery trainees course in Melbourne (annually in March). This function and covening of the course can be delegated outside of the SEC.
- Marking of trainee theses with other Co‐Opted personnel.
ANZSCTS Executive ‐ Clause 52 f
Board of Studies – Clauses 82 and 84 h iii
SEC ‐ Clause 89 b and c
Sits within both Science and Education Committee and Board of Studies functions