Thank you to members for your support in sharing news on the webcast – Heart Foundation on Australia’s first guidelines for the diagnosis and management of adult patients with atrial fibrillation (AF).
The recording of the webcast is available here.
Free Heart Foundation Webcast: 7:00-8:00pm AEDT Wednesday, 21 November 2018
Dr Norman Swan will chair a free webcast hosted by the Heart Foundation on Australia’s first guidelines for the diagnosis and management of adult patients with atrial fibrillation (AF).
The 60-minute webcast will build upon the information presented in the guidelines developed by the Heart Foundation and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ), which aim to have a significant impact on Australians living with AF through evidence-based recommendations on its screening, diagnosis and treatment.
AF is linked to 1 in 11 deaths in Australia and is the most common recurrent arrhythmia faced in clinical practice, but its incidence is underestimated. AF is projected to double over the next 20 years in Australians aged 55 years and over, while deaths from AF have increased by 82 per cent over the past 10 years.
- Professor David Brieger, chair of the atrial fibrillation guidelines working group, is a cardiologist. He is head of the coronary care and coronary interventions at Concord Hospital and Professor of Cardiology, University of Sydney.
- Professor Nick Zwar is a practising general practitioner. He is also Dean of the School of Medicine, University of Wollongong, and has substantial experience in health systems research.
- Ms Cia Connell is a clinical manager at the Heart Foundation and senior clinical pharmacist specialising in cardiology. She also lectures at Monash University and works at the Alfred Hospital.
The format will be easy to understand and practical, with an emphasis on community care. All health professionals are invited to attend, including general practitioners, junior doctors, pharmacists and nurses.
The webcast’s multidisciplinary panel of expert guideline authors chaired by Dr Norman Swan will discuss:
- Epidemiology of AF
- Prevention, screening, diagnosis and management
- The shared management of a practical case
- Live audience questions
Register for the free Heart Foundation webcast here. Live attendance is encouraged as expert authors can engage with questions from the audience in real time.
A recording of the webcast will later be made available on the Heart Foundation website.